Current Water Efficiency Stage
2021 has been one of the driest on record. On July 8, 2021, Governor Gavin Newsom issued Executive Order N-10-21, directing California residents and businesses to voluntarily reduce water use by 15%, compared to 2020. Customers are requested to check their irrigation systems to make sure they are operating effectively and not overwatering. The District also requests its customers to water no more than three days per week.
Because most of the water used in San Juan Water District is for watering residential landscapes, one of the most effective ways to reduce use is to convert lawns to river-friendly landscaping. For more information about how to do so, visit this webpage. Rebates are available, and information can be found here.
The following requirements are always in effect:
- Water shall be used for beneficial purposes only; all unnecessary and wasteful uses of water are prohibited.
- Water shall be confined to the customer’s property and shall not be allowed to run-off to adjoining properties or to the roadside ditch or gutter. Care shall be taken not to water past the point of saturation.
- Free-flowing hoses for all uses are prohibited. Automatic shut-off devices shall be attached on any hose or filing apparatus in use.
- Leaking customer pipes or faulty sprinklers shall be repaired within 5 working days or less if warranted by the severity of the problem.
- All pools, spas, and ornamental fountains/ponds shall be equipped with a recirculation pump and shall be constructed to be leak-proof. Pool draining and refilling shall be allowed only for health, maintenance, or structural considerations.
- Washing streets, parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, or buildings, except as necessary for health, esthetic or sanitary purposes, is prohibited.
- Customers are encouraged to take advantage of the District’s water efficiency programs and rebates.
San Juan Water District Water Efficiency Landscape (WEL) Garden
Located at 9935 Auburn Folsom Road in Granite Bay, this garden has something for all. Peaceful sitting areas are located throughout the garden area. Enjoy the tranquil pond surrounded by Asia-inspired plants. Tired of turf? Get inspiration from our various hardscape demonstrations and turf alternatives. Efficient irrigation demonstrations are featured throughout the garden, which is ever changing by incorporating new technologies and landscape designs. The WEL garden is open for free self-guided tours from 8:30 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday. If you would like more information or would like to schedule a group tour please call 916-791-2663.