Skip to main content

Boil Water Notice

May contain: label and text

Boil Your Water Before Drinking or Food Preparation to Avoid Illness

Due to the recent incidents in the water system, the State Water Resources Control Board, Division of Drinking Water, the Placer/Sacramento County Health Department, and San Juan Water District are advising residents who receive water from San Juan Water District, Citrus Heights Water District, Fair Oaks Water District, Orange Vale Water Company, and the portion of the City of Folsom north of the American River to only use boiled tap water or bottled water for drinking and cooking purposes as a safety precaution to avoid stomach or intestinal illness. See the Attachment A for areas affected by this order.

We will inform you when tests show that water is safe to drink, and you no longer need to boil your water.

Do not drink the water without boiling it first:

  • Boil all water for one (1) minute (rolling boil).
  • Let water cool before drinking.
  • Use boiled or bottled water for drinking, brushing teeth, and food preparation until further notice.
  • Boiling water kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.

If you are unable to boil your water:

Household unscented liquid bleach
  • For clear water, use 8 drops (1/8 tsp.) of bleach for 1 gallon of water. For cloudy water, filter through a clean cloth and use 16 drops (1/4 tsp.) of bleach for 1 gallon of water.
  • Mix well. Allow to stand for 30 minutes before using.
  • Water may taste or smell like chlorine. This means disinfection has occurred.
Water disinfection tablets
  • Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

If you have questions about other uses of tap water, such as bathing and dish washing, please call your water system or read this guidance:

Center for Disease Control - Boil Water Advisory Information


If you are concerned about your health or the health of a family member, contact your health care provider or local health department as listed below.

Water Utility contact:

San Juan Water District: (916) 791-0115

State Water Resources Control Board:

Division of Drinking Water: (916) 445-5285

Local Environmental Health Jurisdiction:

Sacramento County: (916) 875-8440

Placer County: (530) 745-2300

Please share or post this information with others who drink this water, especially those who may not have received this notice directly (for example, people in apartments, nursing homes, schools, and businesses).

San Juan Water District System Map

May contain: map, diagram, atlas, and plot